I am by no means an edgy dresser. There are very few sharp objects in my closer (if you take ‘edgy’ literally) and I don’t push the fashion boundaries either. I wanted to be edgy by wearing black, some leather, maybe sulk a little and put on some smokey eye shadow. That’s my silly intretation of edge workwear. But when it’s over 100 degrees in the shade, it’s hard to imagine wearing dark colors let alone leather.
So I went for a loose top with…GHASP…wait for it…cut-outs. And jeans with suede inserts that you can’t even see. And my go-to gladiator-esque black leather wedges.
What do you think? How would you wear ‘edgy’ clothes to the office?
Don’t forget to hop on over to The Thrifty Girl’s Guide to see what Justine posted for workwear wednesday.
Top: Bobeau, thrifted
Pants: NYDJ, Marshalls/TJ maxx
I’m a fan of simple, natural, subtle makeup for work. When it comes to my 5-10 minute makeup ritual every morning, my motto is, “Ain’t nobody got time for that!” Nothing too fancy or time-consuming, or I just won’t keep it up. Remember Carmindy from What Not to Wear and her 5 Minute Face? That’s my jam. Here’s an example from not too long ago…
If you’re wondering what my skin care regimen is, not long ago it consisted of Dr. Bronner’s for face wash (really) and whatever random sample of Clinique face lotion my mom would give me. I never really wore sunscreen unless went to the beach. Then a few months ago, I discovered Rodan + Fields and my skin has been so rejuvenated, healthy, and supple, that I won’t go back to not taking care of my skin. I’m using the Soothe regimen because I share the products with my Hubby and he’s got super sensitive skin. The products work great on not-so-sensitive skin and include what I think is the best facial sunscreen ever.
Let’s talk makeup. I don’t spend too much time on my makeup honestly, unless it’s a special occasion. I’ve been especially interested in trying to go makeup-free but with my genetic dark circles, it’s a bit hard to do. I have been quite the minimalist recently, especially with the oppressive heat and humidity of the south.
My go-to makeup products for my workday are:
- Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup – I actually wet it a bit and make a paste that I use around my eyes. When it dries, I brush it lightly to even it out.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz pencil – really don’t like leaving the house without this because my eyebrows are so thin. Mom was right, don’t over-pluck!
- Too Faced Chocolate Bar eye shadow palette – I have brown eyes and prefer neutral shadows so this is perfect for me. Plus they smell so good!
- Sugar Lip Treatment in Tulip – I’m lucky that I have a prominent natural lip color and I also prefer a very subtle lip, so this tinted lip gloss is my favorite.
- Mascara – I have very fine lashes that love clumping together. I’m still trying to find the perfect mascara for me but meanwhile my sis-in-law gave me a sample of the Make Up Forever Smoky Extravagant mascara and I really like the wand.
- (Optional) Blush – if I feel like I need a little extra color. Not really necessary in the summer.
Can’t get enough makeup? Hop on over to The Thrifty Girl’s Guide to see what Justine cooked up this week!